HEALTHY WEIGHT DURING PREGNANCY
Pregnancy is a journey to a new life, not only you create one but your life also transforms into new one. This is one of the eternal experiences which you have not had it before. You may ride on a roller coaster of emotions but at the end feel a meltdown for a life budding within you. Pregnancy is a very crucial journey for you and your baby. And gaining weight while you are pregnant is one of the crucial factors of this journey. We cannot neglect the weight gain.
Whenever you visiting your gynecologist, your mind might have been hi-jacked by the thought of weight-gain, as the health of your unborn is totally depends on this one factor. If you gain too much weight then you baby might be at risk during pregnancy or after birth. And if you have not gained much weight then the progress of your unborn might be hindered by any factor and you need to get a proper check up for it. Healthy weight gain during pregnancy is based up on your BMI, let’s look up on weight gain during pregnancy according to BMI: –
|Pre-pregnancy BMI||BMI||Total weight gain||Rates of weight gain 2nd and 3rd trimester (average range/week)|
|Underweight||Less than 18.5||13kg to 18kg (28lb to 40lb)||0.5kg to 0.6kg (1lb to 1.3lb)|
|Normal weight||18.5 to 24.9||11.5kg to 16kg (25lb to 35lb)||0.4kg to 0.5kg (0.8lb to 1lb)|
|Overweight||25 to 29.9||7kg to 11.5kg (15lb to 25lb)||0.2kg to 0.3kg (0.5lb to 0.7lb)|
|Obese||30 or more||5kg to 9kg (11lb to 20lb)||0.2kg to 0.3kg (0.4lb to 0.6lb)|
As we all know, every pregnancy is different, you must feel normal until and unless you are proceeding with normal pregnancy without any complications. You might gain less weight but your baby might be healthy enough and vice versa. But you must keep in mind one thing that, this is just a start of a new life of your tiny creature. Same as me, you might keep him away from all the medicines and doctors. So we must be conscious about gaining weight during pregnancy too.
Healthy weight gain may also rely on healthy eating habits. If you gained weight with healthy eating habits, it will be easier for you to reduce it after pregnancy. Let’s discuss healthy eating habits during pregnancy: –
- You must stay away from oily and sugary food even during pregnancy.
- Always eat in portions, you may feel an increase in appetite during your end of the second trimester or the start of third one but try to eat in portions rather than taking three full meals for two.
- Try to be active even in your third trimester unless your doctor has not advised you to take bed rest.
- Take fruits and vegetable as much as you can.
- Drink plenty of water, at least 4-5 liters a day.
- Try to avoid soda, fast food, and another carbohydrate rich diet, this may harm you and your baby’s health adversely.