How to stop drinking Alcohol – Home Remedies
As days are passing, Alcoholism is now almost recognized as a disease. Given the way, it has been becoming prominent among the users as it is considered as a remedy for almost everything. When you ask the today millennials, “So what does, alcohol do?”, most of the answers are synonymous with “It cures the broken soul.” Sure, it does. Alcohol has a tendency to make you unconscious which is why the body becomes numb and loses the ability to respond at a faster pace. But, how far is it worth to ruin your body at the cost of being depressed? Alcohol can be a different social/individual phenomena, differing from one person to other. While some of us consume it socially, there are people who binge drink it, people who are on alcohol 24/7 and people who consume it, daily.
According to the American Medical Association, about 18 million in the USA contains alcohol, and around 70 million have an alcoholic history in their families. Alcoholism, on frequent consumption, can cause mental and physical problems based on the psychological, genetic and environmental parameters of a human body. If you’re someone who is prone to alcoholism, you can notice that you’re becoming incapable of limiting the consumption, have a strong urge to consume alcohol, reduction in tolerance towards alcohol and getting anxious and angry, whenever the alcohol is out of reach.
Being addicted to alcohol also makes you subjected to physical symptoms like sweating, nausea, shaking and giddiness. Alcoholism causes various health problems including digestive problems, liver diseases, heart problems, sexual problems, diabetes, neurological complications, eye problems, complications in diabetes, bone loss, cancer and weakening of immune system, as well. Alcoholism also leads to injury, property damage, assault, hike in crime, bad parenting, suicidal tendencies and unsuccessful marriage as well. We have seen people in the past take help to overcome the alcoholism addiction but to do that, one has to admit that he has a problem and the family support is required in such cases. Along with lifestyle changes, there are some home remedies that one should get adapted to, in order to combat and fight alcoholism.
Here are the top 10 home remedies that you can adopt, given your alcoholism:
- Workout: There is nothing better than physical exercise that helps you in getting rid of alcoholism. By working out, it helps in reducing the effects of long-term alcoholism. Clinical research and experimental observations have proved that working out helps in preventing brain damage and avoids the loss of cognitive functioning that can occur due to years and years of heavy drinking. Exercise keeps the body healthy, improves your moods, reduces the physical stress, reduces the cravings and fights depression, as well. Workout provides you better sleep and doing it simultaneously while attending rehabilitation programs acts as an instant remedy. By brisk walking, aerobics, running, swimming and biking; you can immensely get rid of everything as soon as possible.
- Yoga: Yoga, just like physical exercise helps in fighting the alcoholism. It helps in re-establishing the connection between the minds and bodies and helps in improving the strength of the body. Yoga helps in dealing emotional dissonance, significant stress related issues while helping you in relaxing the soul and the mind. Some of the poses that can help you in getting rid of alcoholism include Savasana, Apanasana, Jathara Parivartanasana, Baddha Konasana, Viparita Karani, Balasana, Paschimottanasana, and Vajrasana.
- Acupuncture: Acupuncture has been an ancient form of medicine, according to the Chinese culture. Many alcoholics have found it to be beneficial to resist cravings and in the prevention of relapse. If you are addicted to drugs and alcohol, you can’t probably find anything better than Acupuncture. According to the Journal of Substance Abuse Treatment published in 2002, applying acupuncture on pressure points helps in reducing the desire for alcohol. Additionally, it also helps in reduction of depression and anxiety which usually provoke the humans to drink excessively by stimulating the overall wellness.
- Dandelion: Dandelion is used to be a cure for treating the withdrawal symptoms of alcohol. As a herb, it helps in rejuvenation of your body by treating all the side effects that come with drinking. Your liver tissues can also be repaired as the herb helps in improving the bile production and as well as stimulating the flow of the bile juice. Take a table spoon of dried roots and boil them in water for 5-10 minutes. After steeping and boiling them, strain the mixture and drink the 3 cups of tea at least for a couple of months. In case if you find the entire procedure to be strain ful, you can take the dandelion capsules of 500 mg, thrice a day.
- Diet: Diet plays a crucial role in almost everything of our body. The ability to be sober highly depends on the type of food; a person is taking. Alcoholism tends to reduce the appetite and also doesn’t allow your body to absorb the necessary nutrients. This is why most of the bodies that got habituated to alcoholism suffer from deficiencies causing the body to need minerals and vitamins which are mandatory in overcoming the side effects of excessive consumption. By eating foods that contain higher B12, you can improve the functioning of your liver and helps in stopping the cravings. By eating foods that are high in vitamin c, your brain tends to function better, reducing the craving for alcohol. Along with these two, the amino acids will help in the stabilization of moods that can break the cycles of addiction. Avoid sugar, nicotine or caffeine that contribute to the cravings. The best foods that can be consumed include cereals, grains, vegetables, fresh fruits and foods that are rich in fiber and low in carbohydrates.
- Kudzu: A Chinese herb as it is, Kudzu can be of great help in reducing the alcohol hangovers and cravings. The isoflavone compounds in the herb can reduce your addiction to the alcohol. According to a study conducted by the researchers of Psychopharmacology, it is mentioned that the extract of Kudzu can help people in cutting the alcohol down. Taking an extract containing 30-40% Kudzu for two months or more, that too, twice a day is the best treatment you can find, as a home remedy.
- Coconut Oil: How amusing, Coconut Oil is, ain’t it? It is used almost for everything and anything under the sun and indeed is an excellent remedy for all the diseases and alcohol, here is not an exemption. Used to treat the addiction, it deals with the oxidative stress created by alcohol consumption, interfering with the metabolism of brain glucose. Coconut Oil, being rich in saturated fats and antioxidants helps in healing and nourishing the brain. It is believed that the coconut oil kills the yeast inside a body and also helps in alcohol and sugar cravings inside the body as the yeast usually feeds on the sugar. However, the super food helps in maintaining the weight, providing the adequate energy and also lowering the cholesterol. By eating few spoons of coconut oil or by adding it to smoothies and hot drinks, you can keep your alcohol consumption in check.
- Bitter Gourd: Bitter gourd, also known as bitter melon is indeed a natural antidote as it aids in the deletion of toxins inside a human body. Bitter gourd helps in healing the liver damage, caused by the alcohol consumption. All you need to do is take few bitter gourd leaves and extract the juice from them. Add 3 spoons of it to the buttermilk and drink it every day on an empty stomach for at least two months.
- Dates: Dates are the major detoxifying the body by clearing all the toxins from the body. They help in cleaning the liver along with the toxins that are usually formed through long term consumption of alcohol. Dates help in reducing the cravings and replacing the nutrients. By soaking the dates in one cup of water for an hour, you are starting the procedure. Mash the dates and once they are soaked, remove the seeds from them. Drink this brew mixture, at least twice in a day and repeat this for two months.
- Celery: Celery being an antidote, itself helps in the treatment of alcoholism by clearing all the toxins out of your body. Celery helps the overall health of a human being by minimizing the desire for alcohol and sugar. All you have to do is mix half a glass of celery juice with another glass of water and drink it for few months, twice in a day.
That being said all these ten home remedies can help in treating the alcoholism and by following any one of them, consistently for a month or two; you can easily let go of the alcohol consumption. Whenever you feel the immense craving for consuming alcohol, you can opt to drink any fruit juice instead and slowly reduce this consumption, as well.