Diet and nutrition during pregnancy
Pregnancy is a uniqe,exciting and happiest time in a women life.Lot of changing is occurring during the time of pregnancy like weight gain, Morning sickness, Nousea, vomiting, Micturation, Breast discomfort mood changing, and lot of physiological changes. During pregnancy woman gains total 11 kg weight. this period is a very crucial period in this period pregnant women need more care and also need health diet for proper growth and development of newborn .Regular checkup and visit for antenatal checkup are very important for pregnant to know about the health status of baby . So, women should take advice regarding diet during pregnancy to prevent further complication like preterm birth, low birth weight, and still birth. Diet and Nutrition during pregnancy is very important for the pregnant women as well as child which is grow inside the womb because women eats and drinks during pregnancy is main source of nourishment. Doctor also advice the pregnant women during pregnancy women should take variety of healthy foods and beverages to provide important nutrients to baby which help in growth and development of fetus. So, pregnant women need more calcium, folic acid, iron and protein.
Essential of nutrient during pregnancy
Folic acid:-Pregnant women need at least 600 microgram per day during pregnancy. Folic acid help to prevent Nural tube defect in baby so pregnant mother should take 600 microgram folic acid to prevent this defect.
Sources of folic acid: – green leafy vegetable, eggs, fruits, fish, meat, muscle meats, whole grain cereals.
Iron:–iron is also important for pregnant mother. During pregnancy women should take 27miligrams daily. The mineral is used to make more blood that carries oxygen to your baby.
Sources of iron:-liver, organ meat, egg yolk whole grain, legumes, green leafy vegetables, nuts and dry fruits.
Calcium :-Daily requirement for pregnant women for calcium is1000 milligram .calcium help to strong bone , teeth and muscle
Sources of calcium:-Milk and products, pulses sea food, green leafy vegetables.
Vitamin D:–Daily dose for pregnant women is 600 IU vitamin D help to strong bone
Sources of Vitamin D:-direct from sunlight
DHA and Omega fatty acid: an omega fatty acid and DHA plays important role in play baby brain and eye development pregnant women need 200 to 300 milligrams per day.
DHA and Omega fatty acid:-
Iodine:-The mineral help to promote your baby brain and nervous system development daily requirement for pregnant women is 290 micrograms. Women who have iodine deficiency or hypothyroid are more risk of slowing the brain development of their baby.
Sources of Iodine:-Iodized salt, sea food.
Protein:-During pregnancy protein requirements are increased 50 percent. Pregnant women need about 70 grams of protein per day. Protein is not only for growth and development of fetus it also help in to maintain blood sugar level in mother and also help to reduce morning sickness.Many research studies show that if women take better diet during pregnancy than baby born healthy
Sources of Protein:-complete protein milk,egg,cheese,meat,or Non- veg food.
Incomplete protein- pulses,legumes,soya,and products.
Effect on baby If mother having bad diet
- Increase chances of still birth
- Premature baby
- Low birth weight baby
- Baby born with brain demage and less intelligent
- Baby having low immunity
- Growth and development nor appropriate
During pregnancy women should include in her daily diet:-
- Green leafy vegetable, citrus fruit e.g. orange
- Whole grain breads and cereals
- Non fat or low fat milk or milk products.
- Extra lean meats, chicken without the skin, fish, or cooked dried beans and peas
- Eight glasses of water daily pregnant women should take daily.
Diet during first trimester of the pregnancy.
In this periods rapid cell division, organ development occur
Critical nutrients during this phase include
- Folic acid
- Vitamin B12
Diet during 2nd and 3rd trimester of the pregnancy.
Energy intake is especially important since 90 percent of thefetal growth occur during the last half of pregnancy
Critical nutrients during this phase include
- B vitamin
- Omega-3 fatty acid, docosahexaenoic acid (DHC)
Preparing food safely
- Before preparing food vegetables and salad should wash properly to remove all traces of soil which may contain toxoplasmosis which can harm your unborn baby.
- Always use seprate chopping board for raw meats.
- All surface of kitchen and utensils should be clean too prevent harmful infection herself and her baby.
- Store raw foods separately from ready to eat food to prevent the contamination that leads to food poisoning from meat.
Healthy balanced diet consist of
- Milk and milk products-about 3-4 glasses
- Sugar:-5-6 tsp.
- Fat and oil:-5-6 tsp
- Pulses and legumes-60 g and at least one serving in the form spout.
- Vegetables:-2-3 serving green leafy vegetables and seasonal vegetables.
- Cereals:-200 g
- Non vegetable or cheese:-50-100 g
How to eating during pregnancy
- Take small and frequent diet daily
- No skipping of meals
- Avoid fast food
- Take dinners early
- In between take snack
- Drink juices if you eat solid food.
Diet chart for pregnant women.
Breakfast and mid morning
Early morning before breakfast-4 almonds
- Dalia-1 katori, Poha or upmawith vegetable/2 wheat breast slice with vegetables and hung curd/2 Rotti stuffed with vegetable/weat flakes/oats.
- Milk-1 cup curd 1- egg/ Paneer 40 gram
- Salad-1 medium plate
- Dal-1 katori
- Vegetables 1 katori
- Mil-1 cup
- Bhunna channa ½ katori/1 besan/chilla/1 boiled egg.
- Late evening 1 fruit
- Salad- 1 medium plate
- Green leafy vegetable -1 katori
- Dai-1 katori
- Roti-2 medium sized
- Curd- katori
Important instruction for pregnant lady
- Avoid alcohal
- Avoid smoking
- Take proper rest
- Regular checkup
- Avoid junck food
- Avoid lifting heavy weight
- Regular antenatal exercise with doctor advise
- Avoid stress
- Take healthy diet